03 July 2013

Keeping the Kids Entertained

A few nights ago I had a dream wherein my family was visiting the area in Oregon where I grew up.  In the dream I became panicked when my kids asked what we were going to do.  I couldn't think of a single thing that might entertain them.  Nothing.

As I hovered between sleep and waking I became aware that I had been experiencing a dream and quickly ran through a list of things that I would take my kids to do in southern Oregon.  I took a deep breath and realized that my dream problem had a solution.

Later in the day I was thinking about the dream and the feeling of not being able to entertain my kids.  I wondered why that was.  Then I reflected on my childhood and how I spent it.

I was never bored, there was always something to do.  But rarely was that something a museum, swimming pool, or park.  The ranch was my playground.  My siblings were my playmates.  We didn't have neighbors to run around the neighborhood with.

And so I've been wondering if we over-entertain our kids.  Why are we constantly looking for playdates, day camps and projects?  Can't we just let them be kids?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails