03 December 2012

Summer, Photographer and former Marketing Professional


Last year I wrote a blog post about my brother-in-law that generated a comment about how interesting my family is.  I realized that it's so true!  My family is super interesting.  Each Monday I'll be interviewing a family member (or dear friend).  I hope you enjoy these Meet Me Monday posts.

Summer.


Today's interview is with my friend, Summer.

Where do you live?

Brooklyn, NY. I was raised in Southern California, but for as long as I can remember I wanted to call NYC my home. Just as I was planning my move at 21 I fell in love so I stayed in California, got married and convinced my dear husband that life would be better on the Atlantic side of the country. We’ve been here over 8 years and so far, it has exceeded our expectations. 

What are your hobbies or special interests?

Photography, music, theatre, entertaining, cooking, yoga, skiing (all snow now, but I can water ski), collecting vintage jewelry and trying to be the best aunt in the world. 

What is your current profession?

At the beginning of the year I left a 15 year career in the beauty industry to pursue my love of photography professionally. Most recently I worked in Global Makeup Marketing for one of the worlds’ largest cosmetic companies. It was an incredibly interesting and exciting job, but also very stressful and time consuming. It was definitely time for a change. 

What made you choose that line of work?

Photography had been a longtime hobby of mine. I picked up my husband’s DSLR camera shortly after we met and started playing with it. As my interest increased I started to take classes and learn more about the art of photography. What I love most is the creative aspect of photography and I absolutely adore working with people to capture special moments in their lives and present them with images that evoke emotion.  

When people find out what you do, what question do they usually ask you?

For both of my careers, people’s usual response is, “Ooh how glamorous, that sounds fun!”. While both careers certainly have had their perks, I’ve learned that nothing comes free. To do any job well and be successful requires a tremendous amount of work and effort.

What question do you wish they would ask?  Or, what insider information would you give them?

I wish they would ask me why I love about photography. It’s so much more to me than trying to take a pretty picture. I strive to capture the essence of a person in every shoot I do. I am also constantly struggling with my own desire to learn and improve. Something I think we can all relate to. 

If you had it to do all over again would you choose the same thing?  Why or why not?

Absolutely! My adopted motto in life is the name of my favorite Edith Piaf song, Non, Je ne Regrette Rien (No, I Have no Regrets). I feel strongly that it is important to live in the moment and be an active participant in your life. My marketing background gave me the necessary business skills to launch my own photography business. Without those skills, I think it would be very easy to focus on just the “fun” of taking pictures and not the more serious side of running a profitable enterprise. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails