18 December 2012

Jenny, Stay-at-Home Mom


Last year I wrote a blog post about my brother-in-law that generated a comment about how interesting my family is.  I realized that it's so true!  My family is super interesting.  Each Monday I'll be interviewing a family member (or dear friend).  I hope you enjoy these Meet Me Monday posts.


Jenny with her family.

Today's interview is with my friend, Jenny.

Where do you live?
I have lived in Provo, Utah, almost as long as I lived in Jamestown, New York, which is where I grew up (Busti, actually -- a very small town outside of Jamestown). I lived in Crystal Lake, Illinois, for about five minutes when I was 19. I love Provo. It's home. 

What are your hobbies or special interests?

I love all things having to do with music: dancing, singing, playing (and learning to play) instruments, going to concerts. I also love to travel (in my dreams I have homes in Manhattan, Laie, and Northern Spain). Television is my friend and DVR makes me a better mom. Laundry is my favorite chore. Luckily I love radio (because I spend so, so much time driving). Blogging? Yes.


What is your current profession?
I'm a stay-at-home mom, and that's what I've always wanted to be. I worked as a nanny after high school, which was very helpful for me.

What made you choose that line of work?
I chose to be a mom because, even as a kid, I recognized how important family is and how nice it would be for my kids to have me be at home with them during the day, when they weren't at school. The challenge of making a house a home is something I work on every day, I don't know that I'll ever get it exactly the way I want it, but I'm learning to be okay with doing my best. 

When people find out what you do, what question do they usually ask you?
People often ask me (grown-up people that is) (I don't think you'd be interested in what the kids ask me) in which field I got my college degree. The answer is that I am a college drop-out. 

What question do you wish they would ask you?
I wish people would ask more about my life's path, where I've been and where I want to go, rather than what my degree is. I'm embarrassed that I don't have a degree. I have a lot to say about this, but what it comes down to is that I can't go back in time, and my life's path, as much as it could be, has been intentional. And I have many dreams and plans.

If you had it to do all over again would you choose the same thing?  Why or why not?
Without question, I would. For me, prioritizing being a wife & mom has meant a lot of sacrifice; being a young wife and mom (married at 20, first kid born when I was 22) has also meant that, while my 20s were kind of a blur, I'm enjoying my 30s as a mom with kids from preschooler to teenager, and it's very exciting. I look forward to the next seasons of my life with excitement, confidence, and hope.

3 comments:

~j. said...

Thank you, Carrie!

dalene said...

I love that Jenny!

Holly said...

Yay Jenny! Great interview, Carrie. I learned some new things about my friend.

Let's go back to college together when we're in our 50s or 60s, OK Jenny? You can drive.

Holly

Related Posts with Thumbnails