01 October 2012

Heather, Mental Health Therapist


Last year I wrote a blog post about my brother-in-law that generated a comment about how interesting my family is.  I realized that it's so true!  My family is super interesting.  Each Monday I'll be interviewing a family member (or dear friend).  I hope you enjoy these Meet Me Monday posts.


Heather and her son.


Today's interview is with my cousin, Heather.

Where do you live?
Southern California

What are your hobbies or special interests?
Scrapbooking, singing, swimming, crocheting and loving every minute of time I get with my son.

What is your current profession?
 I am a mental health therapist, I work as the intake coordinator for The Canyon at Peace Park, a premiere dual diagnosis inpatient treatment center.

What made you choose that line of work?
The Columbine High School shootings on 4/20/1999.  I thought "how can I bring children into a world where it isn't even safe to send them to school?".

When people find out what you do, what question do they usually ask you?
They usually ask me not to diagnose/shrink them, I guess they think I automatically judge them

What question do you wish they would ask?  Or, what insider information would you give them?
I would like more people to ask how to find help, but when it comes to me "diagnosing or shrinking them" it would be interesting to share that I never judge, but I often diagnose them as soon as I meet them, I can't help it, but again I repeat, I NEVER judge, it doesn't matter what they have done, I always keep an open mind.

If you had it to do all over again would you choose the same thing?  Why or why not?
I would absolutely do it again.  I love my job, I would just take different course work so that it would be easier to get licensed in California...  Ahhhh, bureaucracy!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails