17 September 2012

Shannon, Mother and Lifelong Learner


Last year I wrote a blog post about my brother-in-law that generated a comment about how interesting my family is.  I realized that it's so true!  My family is super interesting.  Each Monday I'll be interviewing a family member (or dear friend).  I hope you enjoy these Meet Me Monday posts.

Shannon and her family.

Today's interview is with my friend, Shannon.

Where do you live?
Utah

What are your hobbies or special interests?
I like to hike, garden, can the food we grow, read, cross stitch, learn how things are made/done, learning how to make a budget work and stick to it, beginning to learn dutch oven cooking.

What did you do professionally before staying at home with your children?
I worked as a physical therapy assistant until Erica was 9 months old.  I've been a stay-at-home mom ever since.  For the most part I love it.  There were days when I thought going to work would be easier, but being home has been worth it.  

What made you choose that line of work?
I liked the medical field, but didn't really go for a lot of blood.  Physical Therapists spend their time on the recovery side of things helping people get better.

When people find out what you do, what question do they usually ask you?
They are interested that I set school aside to stay home, but that's about it.  Most people at least say they understand when I explain why.

What question do you wish they would ask?  
Why would your family and/or children be more important to you than furthering your education and being a benefit to society at large?

If you had it to do all over again would you choose the same thing?  Why or why not?
I was accepted to physical therapy school but didn't go.  I was accepted to school in Philadelphia.  Greg was accepted in CA and we decided to go to CA.  Someday I'll go back to school, but I'm not sure that I still want to do physical therapy.  It's an interest still, but the last 20 years have opened my eyes to all different likes and interests I have.  Things like accounting, engineering, dietetics, and even plants or agriculture are possibilities.  Eventually I'll need to settle on something- or spend a lot of time in school learning different things!- but that time isn't now.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails