24 September 2012

Natalie, SAHM and Aspiring Author

Last year I wrote a blog post about my brother-in-law that generated a comment about how interesting my family is.  I realized that it's so true!  My family is super interesting.  Each Monday I'll be interviewing a family member (or dear friend).  I hope you enjoy these Meet Me Monday posts.

Natalie with her family.


Today's interview is with my friend, Natalie.

Where do you live?
I live in Happy Valley.

What are your hobbies or special interests?
I love to quilt, read, play card games, eat chocolate...

What did you do, professionally, before staying home with your children?  Do you have career plans for after your kids are grown?
Right now I'm a SAHM (stay-at-home-mom), but I was a really great secretary before I had kids.  After the kids get bigger, I would really, really love to either stage houses or remodel them.  Or maybe become an agent/editor/author of books?  And I'm thinking of opening an etsy shop...  I just have to get brave enough to chance success!

What made you choose that line of work?

When I was a secretary, it was because I hadn't gotten my bachelor's degree yet, and my mother taught me a lot about being professional that I think translated well to being a secretary.  Plus, I love to help people.
Helping people is what Moms do best!
As for homes, I have found that I love LOVE the look I see in model homes, and I would love to be able to help people sell their houses.  The remodeling thing is just because I would like to do that for a profit, and I think I have some GREAT ideas for making houses pretty. 
As for being an author, that is a dream I've had since I was a really little girl, and it became a real goal of mine the day I turned 25.  I happened to be watching the morning news, and Jane Pauley was being interviewed because she was leaving her job of 25 years -- I thought that was a real omen!  I will never forget, she said that she wanted to try something new, and she wanted to not have any regrets about trying something new, even though she was so successful at what she was doing.  It made me reevaluate what I'd accomplished in my life.  I had done so much -- gone to college, gotten married, had a job, had a baby -- but I realized that the one thing that I would really regret is NOT telling a story.  And so, I made the goal to tell a story by the time I was 50.  Four more babies later, I am still keeping that goal in mind, but not much has happened in the last ten years.  I have every ambition of completing it by 50, though!  *note: Publication is not the actual goal, although I think that would be fun, too!*

When people find out what you do, what question do they usually ask you?
What my best dirty-diaper-changing time is -- just kidding!  They usually DON'T ask a question -- most people assume that all SAHMs are pretty much the same.

What question do you wish they would ask?  Or, what insider information would you give them?

Hmmm... that's tricky.  I guess I wish people would just ask to know who I am and what I'm all about.  I really am a people-person, and I love to get to know new people, but it's usually me who has to make the effort.  I grew up doing that, and sometimes it's nice to just have someone else take lead on that.
Insider information: My kids are the cutest ever.  Hands down.  (Cabesh's are super cute, too!)

If you had it to do all over again would you choose the same thing?  Why or why not?
I would ALWAYS choose to have my children and be a SAHM.  I know it's not always a possibility, and it's not even always the best choice for some, but for me in my circumstances, it totally is.  That doesn't mean I don't tear my hair out sometimes -- trust me, I do.  But it does mean that it's worth it!

1 comment:

Joel said...

Natalie is the best, though I might be a little biased!

People do ask her a question when they learn she's a SAHM: "How many kids do you have?". The answer usually surprises them. "You don't look old enough to have 5 kids!" :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails