04 September 2012

Moving on

I write this as a packer is fitting my home into cardboard boxes.  It seems so unreal.  We are moving.  It was only three and half weeks ago that Craig got a job offer that would take us to Philadelphia, so I'm still reeling from the surprise.

I spent five of my almost seven years here, in New Hampshire, wanting to leave.  Craig had a job that would allow him to work from anywhere, and I desperately wanted that where to be the Pacific Northwest.  I spent my daydreaming time imaging a miracle that would allow us to escape from the prison that is our underwater,  upside-down home.  It was the thing that was technically possible, but that I just couldn't seem to make happen.  So I felt robbed and tortured by the idea of what could be.

Nine months ago I stopped feeling that way.  I decided that we were in New England for the long haul.  I stopped looking online at houses in Spokane and wishing I could be elsewhere.  I figured I might as well make the best of where I was, so I set to it.  And perhaps I finally decided to bloom where I was planted, as we so often hear we ought to do.

And now we're on our way to a new adventure.  Craig's new job requires him to be in an office in downtown Philadelphia, so I don't anticipate the longing for what "could be".  I'm looking forward to exploring a new part of the country and to making new friends.  But, I'm surprised to find myself a little sad to be leaving our neighborhood, friends, and school.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Funny how perspective can change. Enjoy your new adventure!

Shelly said...

Let me know your new address for Christmas cards :) good luck with the move.

The Streiffs said...

Yea for new adventures. Good luck.

Related Posts with Thumbnails