03 September 2012

Meri, Mechanical Engineer


Last year I wrote a blog post about my brother-in-law that generated a comment about how interesting my family is.  I realized that it's so true!  My family is super interesting.  Each Monday I'll be interviewing a family member (or dear friend).  I hope you enjoy these Meet Me Monday posts.

Meri with one of her darling angels.

Today's interview is with my friend, Meri.

Where to do you live?
New Mexico

What are your hobbies or special interests?
Sports, Traditional cooking, Reading

What did you do professionally before staying at home with your children
Mechanical Engineer

What made you choose that line of work?
I wanted to be MacGyver when I grew up.  The major involved only one English class.  Plus I thought Engineering would make me rich.

When people find out what you did what question do they usually ask you?
"Really?"  I don’t think I fit the traditional engineer mold.

What insider information would you give them?
Some of the best Engineers I know are those that were pretty bad at Math and Science, but were natural designers.  They understood how things work and were curious to learn more. They struggled through the entry level classes but really excelled when the classes became more focused on design concepts.  I would tell anyone who likes designing and building new things to consider engineering even if they don’t like math and science.

If you had it to do all over again would you choose the same thing?  Why or why not?
Yes and No.  Some of my reasons for becoming an engineer were stupid, but I did enjoy learning it.  I’ve discovered that I don’t enjoy straight design as much as I once thought and I like to interact with people more than the traditional engineering job requires.  I think that Engineering is a great jumping off point for so many other careers, so I think I would still have gotten my degree in engineering, but would have molded my career a little differently.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails