06 August 2012

Michelle, Insurance Representative

Last year I wrote a blog post about my brother-in-law that generated a comment about how interesting my family is.  I realized that it's so true!  My family is super interesting.  Each Monday I'll be interviewing a family member (or dear friend).  I hope you enjoy these Meet Me Monday posts.


Michelle.


Today's interview is with my friend, Michelle.


Where do you live? 
In the awesome “Live free or Die” State of New Hampshire!

What are your hobbies or special interests?  
I enjoy reading, swimming, hiking, but most of the time I really enjoy spending quality time with my family.  Life is sooo short and I feel that I need to spend more time making lasting memories with the family.

What is your current profession?  
I’m currently working as a Licensed Multi-Line Representative at Annick Insurance Agency.  I help people with their Life, Health, Home, Auto and banking needs.

What made you choose that line of work? 
I actually didn’t chose this line of work, I’m actually a programmer, but I really like working with people… I know this sounds corny but the Lord chose this position for me.  

I was working part-time at a college and really needed a full time position.  I was networking and asking everyone for help. The day I was going to temple for the first time to be sealed to my husband the Bishop of the ward called me, stated that a friend of his was looking for someone to help in the office on a full time basis, gave me his number and I called him.  It wasn’t until a few weeks after I was hired that my employer told me the real story of why he hired me.  He went on to say that he had interviewed over 30 + people for this position and for one reason or another none of them fit right.  One night he decided to get on his knees and pray about it.  When he started to pray his friend's name (who happened to be my bishop)  kept popping into his mind and stayed there until he called him which was a few days later.  The Bishop told him he knew the exact person that would be perfect for the job.  I had to take some tests and pass in order to get the job and I could never have imagined myself in this position.  I’m so happy that the Lord knows me better than I know myself. 

When people find out what you do, what question do they usually ask you?  
They either get annoyed, because people really don’t like to talk about insurance, or they start to ask me about life insurance and how much they should carry or what policies are best for them.  Sometimes they ask questions about an accident they were in and who I think is at fault.  It really doesn’t matter what I think, it’s the laws that matter and that we have to live by.

What insider information would you give them?  
My advice to everyone is.. even though the State of NH doesn’t require you to carry insurance on your auto policies.. GET INSURANCE.  If you are in an at fault accident, and have no insurance, the State of NH will take your license away until you either make restitution or set up payments with the person/Attorney to pay back all the damages.  The State of NH will also put an SR22 on you (which is forced insurance) and this will increase your insurance premium more than if you were just an average Joe coming in off the street.  Say you don’t have the money for full coverage.. then just do Liability to cover the other persons vehicle and save yourself from the headache and loss of money/time from having an uninsured accident.  Liability is really cheap compared to an at fault uninsured accident.

If you had it to do all over again would you choose the same thing?  Why or why not?  
Absolutely!  I enjoy helping people find the right solution for them, helping them save some money or protect their family.  It’s always nice when I get to hand a family a check when their loved one had taken out life insurance and unexpectedly passed away.  I know that the family member cared enough about their loved one to get life insurance and even though it’s a tough time to go through (and seriously, no one likes to talk about it).  But, the surviving spouse doesn’t have to be scared that they need to sell the house or change their way of life because there isn’t enough money.  Too many times someone passes away unexpectedly and the first person the family calls is the insurance agent to see if they had life insurance.  I’ve seen this happen, where the wife loses the home, cars, barely making it and the 16 year old son having to work now to help pay rent.  It’s very sad.

1 comment:

Jenniflower said...

I love your meet me Mondays! They are so much fun!

Related Posts with Thumbnails