09 July 2012

Lindsey, HR Professional

Last year I wrote a blog post about my brother-in-law that generated a comment about how interesting my family is.  I realized that it's so true!  My family is super interesting.  Each Monday I'll be interviewing a family member (or dear friend).  I hope you enjoy these Meet Me Monday posts.



Lindsey and her husband.
 Photo courtesy of Neysa Brandon Photography



Today's interview is with my sister-in-law, Lindsey.

Where do you live?
Beautiful Spokane Valley, WA

What are your hobbies or special interests?
Currently looking at the baby takes up all my time.  I like to read and laugh at my husband.  Together we watch a lot of pro football and college basketball.  I'm also obsessed with the Olympics and I can't wait to watch!  My most "special" interest is filling out paperwork and surveys, hence my prompt response.

What is your current profession?
I work in Human Resources

What made you choose that line of work?
I wanted a career that I could do in any part of the country  and most businesses have an HR function.  I also find people very interesting and I get to see a lot of different behavior from our interview candidates and employees.  I have a high need to know what's going on and when you're in HR you usually know the inside scoop and all the goings on with both management and the line employees.

When people find out what you do, what question do they usually ask you?
Most people ask me for interview/resume advice or they want to know about their legal rights as an employee.

What question do you wish they would ask?  Or, what insider information would you give them?
The best interview advice I can give is to do a lot of research about the company.  Almost always the person who gets hired is the one who can best answer, "What do you know about our company and what did you do to prepare for this interview?"  It shows me (and you) how much you really want the position.  I also encourage people to ask the hiring supervisor what they are looking for in the perfect candidate.  Then you can address how your skills and experience fit with that ideal.

If you had it to do all over again would you choose the same thing?  Why or why not?
I love being in HR!  It's a great balance of technical work and customer service.  I always have tasks that allow me to work quietly and independently, but if I get lonely I can go visit with employees and still be on task.  I also like that I am qualified for jobs in a lot of different industries in case I want more variety down the road.

1 comment:

Alexis said...

I love your Meet Me Monday post idea! Reading about random people interests me, I suppose it is an extension of my interest in people watching.

Related Posts with Thumbnails