16 July 2012

carblemarble, Homeschool Educator and Mother

Last year I wrote a blog post about my brother-in-law that generated a comment about how interesting my family is.  I realized that it's so true!  My family is super interesting.  Each Monday I'll be interviewing a family member (or dear friend).  I hope you enjoy these Meet Me Monday posts.


Carblemarble and her family.


Today's interview is with my sister, carblemarble.


Where do you live?
Northeastern Oklahoma

What are your hobbies or special interests?
I love photography & dabble in it when I have the chance. I also enjoy camping, singing, reading, scrapbooking, blogging, Zumba, traveling (wish I could do that one more), party planning and sports.

In a dream I would also have an incredible skill for reading into people's lives, their actions & desires, and would be able to articulate those passions and attributes into characters I would write about in novels where they lead incredibly interesting and fascinating lives. That or I would be an actress playing these roles on the stage. Was this interview meant for me to divulge my secret wishes & dreams? No?  Hmm. 

What is your current profession? What did you do professionally before staying at home?
Before becoming a stay at home mom I worked as an administrative assistant in the Business Office at the university in our town. 


Now I work during the school year as the homeschooling teacher for an autistic young man we go to church with.

What made you choose that line of work? 
When my husband & I moved to this area I first got a job as an account clerk for one of the VP's at the university. When a new director was coming into the business office & a new assistant was being looked for I was asked if I would consider taking the position. Three days and one interview later the job was mine. It was hard & crazy, but I loved working with the students. I thrive in high pressure, get it done environments. I continued working after my first child was born, but 10 months later, when I was 3 months pregnant with my second child, we decided it was better for our family if I stayed home, something I was more than happy to do.


My work homeschooling was firstly chosen to help supplement our family income. It has become so much more, with rewards I never dreamed. 

When people find out what you do/did, what question do they usually ask you?
People typically want to hear any crazy stories or insiders information from when I worked at the university.  There were some interesting moments while I worked at the university, especially because anyone who had complaints about their financial situations were sent to me. I would liaise  with the director & resolve with the students. The most interesting moments came when parents would call screaming (I have been cussed out a few times), for them to only realize that their student hadn't shared the truth of the situation.   Now that I am a stay at home mom the question I get most is if I miss being "out". My response to that is a resounding 'NO WAY!'

With regards to my teaching job, people ask if it's hard.  It is, but it's so much more. This job is making the life of this teenage boy better. He is in a safe environment, away from negative influences, reactions & attitudes.  He can focus on learning & I feel so blessed to be his teacher. 

What question do you wish they would ask?  Or, what insider information would you give them?
I wish they would ask 'don't you just love staying home?' or 'what kind of fun & creative things do you find to do with two under 3 at home?' My answers would be first, YES, I do love it! To the second I would say, 'we make life an adventure'. I have been: a lion roaring and searching for my prey (to be tickled), a horse giving rides across the safari, a playmate in ring around the rosie, a guide in the wonders of a fish pond or to the couple of fountains on the campus we live near. My children love to paint (it is a mess, but nothing a bath can't fix), read, race cars, hold baby dolls, jump on mommies bed, vacuum, dance to loud music, and much much more.

As far as my work now goes, I would share that homeschooling is a wonderful blessing & that it should be considered on a child by child basis. What works for one student does not work for another & learning is especially an example of that truth.  

If you had it to do all over again would you choose the same thing?  Why or why not?
If I could do it all over again, I would LOVE to have my own photography studio. However, the path I have followed has been led by the promptings of the Holy Ghost, so it is a path that I would not will different. It has lead me to experiences and lessons I needed. From friends who have become like family, to service I have been able to give to others, to doctors who helped me overcome infertility. So, while there are dreams, I know that my Father in Heaven has lead me where I need to be now & will continue to guide myself and my family.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails