12 October 2011

School district serving cereal for lunch when food runs out

Yesterday Goosey came home and told me that the school ran out of lunch and the rest of the kids (about two classes worth) were given cereal for lunch.  Umm....WHAT?  This is the first I've heard about this, probably because this year Goosey is during the last lunch group of the day.

After asking around and calling the district Food Services Office I found out that not only are they given cereal, the options were Cocoa Puffs or Cinnamon Toast Crunch.  Those aren't even healthy options.

One mom told me that her daughter was starving by the time she got home yesterday because she had been one of the unfortunate ones that got cereal.  Cocoa Puffs, to be exact, which she does not buy for her children.

Another mom commented on my Facebook posting about it that the same kids always seem to be getting cereal.  That makes sense, since it's first come, first serve.  Those poor kids!  Some of them go to the after school YMCA program or the Boys and Girls Club.  Six hours is a long time to last on a bowl of cereal.

I understand that there are challenges in trying to estimate the number of lunches you need on a given day.  However, I don't understand why sugar laden cereals are the alternative.  Loaves of (frozen) bread and peanut butter and jelly or cans of tuna could be kept in the kitchen.  Or, a phone call could be made to the middle school that is literally next door to see if they have extra of their lunch that day (or of anything).

I think we can do better.  I expect the district to do better.  This is an unacceptable arrangement that needs to be fixed.  And, it seems to me that possible solutions are neither difficult nor costly.  If you live in my town contact your principal and the district Food Services Office.  Let them know how you feel.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

This is not a new problem in that school district, nor is it just at your school. Our kids had the same experience when we were there. I can't remember if it was an issue at the junior high, though. The kids thought it was cool at first, but then they realized how hungry they were after a bowl of sugar cereal. TO be honest, I think it's just a way for the school district to cut costs. It's certainly cheaper to plan short and keep sugar cereal on hand than it is to plan enough or a little over and have extra. And, like you said, it's unfortunately the same students that bear the brunt every day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails