22 August 2011

A breath of fresh air

Before we headed west my home, church, and community responsibilities had become stifling.  I was stuck, unmoving, in a never-ending sea of monotonous responsibility and expectations.  I was tired of playing catch-up from our weeks of unemployment, of putting others before my family and myself, and even of everyday chores like driving to and from kindergarten.

I wanted to escape.

I knew that a weekend away wasn't going to suffice.  I needed to be completely removed for a significant period of time.  Thankfully, Craig's job is very flexible and all the starts aligned, allowing us to flee our "normal" life for two months.

This time away has been rejuvenating.  In fact, I'm trying trying not to think about our leaving in three days.  This has been too good.  We have been surrounded by extended family whom I love and am happy to call my dearest friends.  Our children have had cousins, aunts and uncles, and grandparents doting upon them all summer.  The weather has been amazing-- dry, cool at night and not too hot during the day.  The lack of responsibility has allowed me a period of relaxation.

I'm crossing my fingers that it will be enough.  I'm hoping that when I get back I can throw myself full-force into all that reamins for me to do, and any new responsibilities that might come my way.  But, I have to say, summering away from one's life is true living.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Sorry it has to come to an end, but I'm glad you've had the escape. They are sorely needed at times.

Mrs. Organic said...

It's so nice to have room to breathe again, to stretch your soul.

Popcorn House said...

I am so glad that you were able to get a little bit of an escape. I hope that when you get back it will be a little more relaxed for you!!! MISS YOU GUYS!!!

Pink Posts said...

Yeah, it's the only way to get a summer, because they have become non-existant other-wise - or so it seems.

Related Posts with Thumbnails