08 July 2011

With Sympathy

Yesterday I realized that I hate buying sympathy cards.  They use words like bereavement, grief and mourning.  Those words feel cold and impersonal to me.  What I really want is a card that tries to convey the hug I would give if I could be there in person.  Because, to me, a hug is the best thing that one can give after a loss.  It says that you care, that you love the person who has suffered the loss, and they can hold onto and lean on you if they need to.  That's the kind of hug I give, and the kind I hope to get when trial of that kind come.

But, if I must send a card, I wish I could find one that said something like this: "I'm so, so sorry for your loss.  I know it's hard right now.  Please know that I am praying for you.  I will be here when you need me."

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails