23 June 2011

Heartland

I love the heartland of America.  What feels more American than silos, red barns and white fences?  Love, love, love it.

What I don't love: Chicago.  It took us two non-rush hours to drive through Chicagoland on the interstate. And, all the gas stations had regular at $4.05+.  CRAZY!!!!  As soon as we left the Chicagoland area the gas prices dropped back down to the level we had seen across the northeast and the rest of the Midwest.

On the upside, the Ikea in Schaumburg, IL is way better than the one in Stoughton, MA.  Cleaner, more organized, more products.  It was awesome.

But, in the end, Craig and I agreed that we're glad he didn't take the Chicagoland area job offer he had last summer (during our unemployment time).  We're better where we are.

Tomorrow:  the Great Plains.  I am really excited for this because my kids have never seen the plains--we usually fly over that part.


P.S.  Are you sick of the word "Chicagoland"?  Because I am.  It just sounds ridiculous.

4 comments:

Popcorn House said...

I love the Great Plains. Now when we travel home, I tell the kids tell me when you see the BIG SKY! I love coming home to my big, huge sky. BUT....not everyone likes the flat, miles of miles of the same thing over and over again. But like I said to me it is home now :O)

wendysue said...

Wave to me! I'm in Lincoln, Nebraska! There's not a whole lot as you continue to travel west in the state but beautiful farmland!

cabesh said...

Wendysue- I waved, but we turned north just outside of Chicago. We're thinking Nebraska and Iowa on the return drive.

wendysue said...

If you're heading for the Nebraska/Iowa border you'll see plenty of flooded farmland too. :(

Enjoy your trip! I hope someday to drive just to drive (instead of being in such a hurry to get to our destinations. . .)

Related Posts with Thumbnails