26 April 2011

The sun will come out

On Thursday I stood on a hillside and watched as my sister-in-law and her husband buried Sawyer.  As Sawyer's tiny coffin was lowered gently into the ground her mama's shoulders shook with the sobs that suddenly overcame her. My eyes were filled with tears, as were those around me.

While goodbyes were said I looked around and decided that this was a good place. How wonderful to be resurrected in that spot--the Snohomish River wound by below, the green grass and trees were abundant and in the background were the rugged, snow covered peaks of Mount Baker and the Cascades. Yes, I wanted to be buried somewhere just like that. Somewhere that, when the day comes, I will rise up and look around and remember how lovely and beautiful it all is and how blessed I was to come to this earth.

And just like that my heart was suddenly full to bursting with gratitude for the plan of salvation, with love for my Heavenly Father, and especially for my Savior, Jesus Christ. And, for just a brief moment the sun peeked out from behind the clouds and I was warmed inside and out.

3 comments:

Popcorn House said...

I was crying just reading this. I am so sorry to hear about this. You are so right that with sorrow we can find gratitude for the plan of salvation and eternal families. Thank you for the reminder. Miss you.

Cindi said...

Many prayers and much love coming your way for your family...and the parents of this sweet little girl. I am so sad for them, and like you, thankful for the hope in Christ and in the resurrection.

Jackie said...

Having you there was so very special. We are so thankful that you were able to be with all of us at this time. We love you! And I too am so thankful for our Heavenly Father and His Son and the wonderful plan of Happiness and salvation.

Related Posts with Thumbnails