22 September 2010

What we should all feel inside

Tonight at bedtime Goosey told me that someone said something that had hurt her feelings at school today.  This has happened a couple of times and it's usually nothing serious, as was the case today.

Goosey made an error in doing some math work on the board and corrected it before sitting down.  Upon sitting down, a boy in her class said to her, "You almost got it all wrong."  I pointed out that he was right, she had almost gotten it all wrong, but it was good that she was able to correct it.  She just couldn't understand why someone would feel the need to point out that you almost did something wrong.

I explained to her that I didn't know this little boy, but that sometimes people don't feel very good about themselves and they think that making others feel bad will make them feel better.   I could tell by the look on her face that she was confused.  So I asked her, "How do you feel about yourself, inside?"

As she looked me in the eyes I could see her beginning to tear up when she answered, "I think I'm wonderful."

I told her that I thought she was wonderful too......super wonderful. And that that's what she needed to remember when people said something that hurt her feelings--she's wonderful.  She knows it and her mom knows it, and that's what matters.

3 comments:

Queen Scarlett said...

Gosh...I wish we lived closer. Thank you for this.

Lindsey said...

That's one smart cookie!

carblemarble said...

I sure love that girl. She amazes me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails