26 July 2010

Endure it well

Our Relief Society lesson yesterday was President Uchtdorf's talk "Your Happily Ever After". It was a fun talk (He just "gets" women, even young women). President Uchtdorf spends some time on enduring trials as part of our journey to our happily ever after. He quotes the following from the Doctrine and Covenants,

“[Your] adversity and [your] afflictions shall be but a small moment; and then, if [you] endure it well, God shall exalt [you] on high.”3

I've heard that scripture lots of times, but suddenly the word well stood out. We must endure our adversity and afflictions well. Not just endure, endure well.

I think I could endure just about anything. Most of us can--it's what we do. We keep on going despite the trials, the heartache, the monotony. We endure. We're made for it. But, how many of us are enduring well?

Are we finding joy in our enduring? Do we recognize the small miracles and mercies the Lord sends along the way? The friend who eases the trial for a few minutes, the sun shining through a canopy of leaves, the taste of warm cookies from the oven? The incredible knowledge we gain through our experiences, the strengthening of our testimonies. Those are the things we need to embrace while enduring.

Sometimes I just endure. I know lots of people who are willing to tell you how much they're enduring and how long they've been enduring. But if we are to be "exalted on high" we must endure well. I must endure well.

3 comments:

Queen Scarlett said...

I love everything about this post...and YOU!

Greek Goddess said...

I was reading talks by Pres. Uchtdorf and thinking about the exact same concept. I wrote in my journal: "enduring well" and underlined "well."
I was actually reading his talk on patience from this past conference. Excellent talk.
Good thoughts cabesh!

The Lahr's said...

NIcely said!

Related Posts with Thumbnails