14 May 2010

My love/hate relationship with New England, part 1--THE LOVE

New England.

What do I love?




I love the history.

I love American history, and have since I was a child. It doesn't matter how many times I walk the Freedom Trail in Boston, I still marvel at the historic sights. Old North Church, Bunker Hill, the USS Constitution..... I am humbled by the idea that I can walk where great men and women who fought for freedom walked. I feel these are hallowed places.

I love the old cemeteries. I like to walk amongst the thin gravestones, looking at the names and death dates from nearly 400 years ago. I like to imagine how those people lived....how brave they had to be to come here, to a land they knew nothing about. I wonder how on earth they survived the frigid cold of a New England winter without our modern conveniences.




I love the landscape.

There are lots of trees here. Lots and lots. I love that. I love the rolling hills. I love how green it is. I love the ocean .





I love the architecture.

Cape Cod, Colonial, Victorian, Federal.... There's so much variety here. And, it's authentic. These are buildings that were built during their historical time periods. It's beautiful.




I LOVE autumn.

There is nothing like a New England fall. I am really, truly convinced of that. It is stunning. The colors are indescribable. I know, I know-- you've seen pictures. It's a million times better in person. Not only are the colors amazing, but New Englanders know how to do Fall. There are harvest celebrations and fairs and apple picking. They decorate beautifully. And the food. They truly eat fall foods here--squash and pumpkins and apple cider. I adore fall. I'm sure you've heard me say it before, but if it could be fall year round I'd live here forever.


Right now you're probably saying, what's the problem? Sounds good. It does sound good. But really, that's all the touristy stuff. It's the 'living here' stuff that gets me.

2 comments:

La Yen said...

There is something about the West that we can't get rid of, us Western girls. When we are born here it is a part of us. We need it. That's when I start to read Steinbeck and Stegner again--to feel it in my bones.

I hear you, sister.

Syazzies said...

what a beutiful place u live in ^^

Related Posts with Thumbnails