09 February 2007

Vernacular

I've lived in three parts of the U.S so far. In each I have noticed sayings, usages or pronunciations that are peculiar to that region of the country (in my experience). I'm not saying any of them are wrong--these are merely observations.

NEW HAMPSHIRE

carriage-- grocery cart

highway-- this includes not only highways, but what we call freeways in the West (because they're not free here....curse those toll roads!)

auntie-- pronounced "awntie"; no one has an "ant" here, it's "Awntie Bertha"

Mass-- the locals never say the full name of Massachusetts

seacoast-- that's the beach or ocean to the rest of us


UTAH

sluff or slough (I'm not sure on the spelling)-- when kids don't go to class; everywhere else it's skipping, cutting, or ditching

tour-- pronounced "tore"; other people say "too-ur"

dropping the "t"-- i.e., it's not mountains, it's "mow-ins" (I can't really type the sound. It's like a grunt and then slight pause in place of the T.)


OREGON (or the way I talk)

milk-- pronounced "melk" ( I didn't know I said this differently until I was in college)

measure-- pronounced "may-zure" (again, in college)

skiff of snow-- means a light dusting of snow

what's-his-bucket-- a person whose name you can't remember

1 comment:

carblemarble said...

haha, this is so true.

Related Posts with Thumbnails